Utility Rebates for Energy Efficiency Upgrades
Local utilities want to give you money for energy efficiency upgrades to your home. The government is giving millions of dollars in the form of residential energy efficiency rebates to local utilities in an effort to reduce national energy consumption. Here’s how it works:
- Have a certified professional perform a free home energy audit.
- Get the necessary energy efficiency improvements for your home: weatherization, attic insulation, radiant barrier, and air duct sealing, replacement and sealing
- Arrange a final inspection from Austin Energy.
- Look in your mailbox after 2-4 weeks for your rebate check.
Rebates can cover 50% to 90% of the cost of energy efficiency upgrades that will increase the value of your home and significantly lower your monthly utility bills. The rebate amount will depend on the size of your home:
|Square Ft.||Average Rebate|
|1000 – 1499||$250|
|1500 – 1999||$350|
|2000 – 2999||$500|
|3000 – 3999||$600|
|4000 +||$700 +|
For more information about local rebate programs, you may contact Austin Energy at (512) 974-7827 or email@example.com.
For Rebate Qualifiers
We file all of your rebate paperwork! Green Collar Operations is a participating contractor for the Home Performance with Energy Star program. As a participating company it is our job to take care of your paperwork and ensure you get your rebates as quickly as possible.
Here is the breakdown of how we file for your rebates:
- No Cost Energy Audit - Green Collar Operations will come out and perform a free energy audit.
- Your Signature and Acceptance of Rebates - Once the work is scheduled we will bring out a Customer Authorization Form for your signature. At that time you will have a complete summary that outlines all of the energy efficiency measures to be performed as well as the total rebates associated with Austin Energy and/or Texas Gas.
- We submit to Austin Energy - We file the Customer Authorization Form along with an Energy Analysis with Austin Energy. Austin Energy will then process your rebate paperwork.
- We schedule your Final Inspection – Approximately 1-2 weeks after the work has been completed we will be given a date from Austin Energy for a "final Inspection" for your rebates. This inspection is super easy, usually completed within half an hour. The final inspection is done to ensure the work was completed and installed correctly.
- Rebates are sent directly to you – Upon passing the final inspection Austin Energy will issue a check and Texas Gas will issue another mailed directly to you. Rebate checks are usually received within 2-4 weeks upon completion of the final inspection.
Tax Credit Information
For solar attic fans, you are also eligible to receive a federal tax credit for 30% (or up to $1,500) for the cost of the fan. If you decide to claim your attic fan tax credit, download the Attic Breeze manufacturer’s certification form (PDF). Keep this document and any receipts with your income tax records. For additional information about the federal tax credit for home energy efficiency improvements, please consult your tax advisor or accountant.