A critical step in performing energy efficiency upgrades to your home is weatherization. Weatherization fixes the problems of air leakage and air infiltration where climate-controlled air escapes your house and outside air enters your house. Your home should be as air-tight as possible to keep in the air conditioning (you’re paying for it, right?) and keep out the outside air (which also contains harmful allergens).
According to Austin Energy, air conditioning accounts for 70% of an average home’s summer electric bill. It is time to stop wasting the cool air you are paying for.
Central Texas homes experience a unique problem in that our soft and shallow limestone bedrock causes building foundations to constantly shift. This creates gaps and cracks in walls and around previously tight door frames, windows and pipe fixtures.
Weatherization is one of the cheapest, easiest and most cost-effective ways to improve your home’s energy efficiency. Here’s how it works:
- Our technicians perform a blower door test to determine the amount of air leakage in your home.
- We inspect your home for leakage sites and perform upgrades and repairs such as
- Weather stripping around doors
- Caulking around windows and wall plates
- Sealing of gaps in walls and ceilings around light fixtures, plumbing penetrations, furnace closets, water heater closets, and attic access points
Let Green Collar be your Austin and Central Texas weatherization contractor. All of our technicians are Building Performance Institute (BPI) certified professionals.
Find out how efficient your home could be with a free energy audit from Green Collar Operations.